- President Akufo- Addo commends Goldstar Airline
- Birim Central Municipality to fine recalcitrant traders
- Brong-Ahafo Regional Minister promises all-inclusive administration
- Ghana and Czech Republic strengthen ties
- PNC, PPP, CPP in merger talk - Bernard Mornah
- Trump, Putin: US urges Russia to 'immediately' observe Ukraine ceasefire
- In US: Anxiety, tears and prayers in California's immigrant community
- In Germany: Police probe driver's motive in deadly car ramming
- In Russia: Thousands march in Moscow two years after Putin foe killed
- Oscars 2017: Viola Davis wins Best Supporting Actress for "Fences"
More from News
- Akufo-Addo appoints new Ghana Post Managing Director
- Stubborn Fly: Man, 23, jailed 2 years for stealing N210,000 motorcycle
- We’ve been attacked – Ghanaians in SA contradict Ayorkor Botchway
- Heath Tips: 6 signs you’ve got a serious problem with your stomach
- NPP Government: Ghana Post gets new MD
- Man is found dead in Hollywood's famed Magic Castle'
- Female TV reporter killed in Mosul
- Sex Allegation: Bisa KDei denies sexual misconduct
- Trump tweets wildly misleading comparison of the national debt in his first month to Obama's
- Paul Ansah is new GPHA boss
- KNUST police to question roommate of suicide student
- Parents of Dele Alli have not spoken to him for TWO YEARS
- White House bans CNN and BBC from press briefing
- Tragic: Investigation launched into suicide committed by KNUST student
- How Sears went from retail icon to empty stores
- Tigo, Airtel complete merger talks
- 'No, that's my bottom!' Bikini model punches presenter
- The Model 3 could be the worst thing that ever happened to Tesla (TSLA)
- GPL preview: Ashgold, Kotoko set for a classic derby
- Nyantakyi, Fianoo 'clash' at EK Afranie funeral
- NGOs organize agribusiness forum in Bolga
- 2017 Budget must make job creation main priority - TUC to gov't
- Bechem United striker Ahmed Toure rules out a return to Kotoko
- GOIL Board: GOIL dismisses appointment of new CEO
- This clothing company is facing claims that its 'pants rip like wet toilet paper'
- Trump announces he won't attend this year's White House Correspondents' Association dinner
- Kenyan Professor Patrick Lumumba to speak at African Youth Forum in Ghana
- Legendary: Renowned sports journalist in Kenya names son after Essien
- "Game of Thrones": Archaeologists hunt for long-lost tomb of Scottish king
- The best Apple ad from each year since its 1984 Super Bowl hit (AAPL)
- Ghanaian starlet Eric Ocansey on target for Eupen in Belgian top-flight
- Big Brother Naija: 5 things that happened on day 33
- Kenyan journalist names son after Michael Essien
- KNUST to counsel traumatized ‘suicide’ student’s roommates
- The 10 most powerful brands in the world
- MTN hosts Unilever vice president
- Strongman K: Singer 'curses' corrupt parliamentarians in latest track "Parliament Bribery"
- KNUST begins investigation into student’s suicide
- France Election: Yes, Le Pen could win in France
- NPP Government: Work begins on first district factory at Kpetoe
- NPP Government: President Akufo-Addo appoints new GPHA boss
- Health Tips: 5 symptoms of bladder Cancer every woman should know
- Health Tips: 4 smart ways to kill sugar cravings
- Twin holds hands with brother as doctors fight to save him
- BUFFETT: 'A CEO whose focus is centered on Wall Street will be tempted to make up the numbers'
- Menace of abandoned vehicles; road users call for towing service
- Under Armour's 'soaring' shoe sales reveal a terrible truth for the business (UA)
- London police investigate as body pulled from River Thames
- Stock market managers welcome listing of VRA, GRIDCo
- Wereko-Brobby ready to work with Akufo-Addo
- Chamber of Petroleum Consumers unhappy with GOIL CEO's dismissal
- Video: Richmond Biakye-Yiadom scores twice in Red Star Belgrade win
- Capital market to rebound over tax cuts on capital gains
- Snapchat's earliest employees: Where are they now? (SNAP)
- Chief Imam commends Dr Nduom
- In US: Trump's Russia reset on hold as White House adds anti-Moscow hawks
- CPP, PNC, PPP et' al are totally irrelevant - Ernesto Yeboah
- Coaches Afranie & Duodu laid to rest today
- Berkshire Hathaway profits jump 15% (BRKA, BRKB)
- Tax Payment: Newmont Ghana is Ghana’s second best taxpayer for 2016
- Amazon keeps reminding us that it's the most dangerous company in tech (AMZN)
- I have not been suspended - Allotey Jacobs
- Waste collectors likely to cause another flooding disaster at Odaw River?
- English Premier League: Jordan Ayew's Swansea succumb to Chelsea
- Raggi: Rome Olympics killer says yes to new Roma stadium
- Man stabbed to death over ‘banku’ in Gushegu
- NHIS staff want one of their own as head
- Global mobile industry giants seek early 5G deployment
- France Election: No legal let up as French candidates face probes
- Energy: Strong opposition over proposal to list VRA, GRICo on GES
- Flagstaff House: Bawumia calls for deeper Ghana-US relations
- Oscars 2017: Red Carpet Live
- Wendi Deng visits Ivanka Trump at her Washington DC home
- Abusua FM presenters nominated for 2016/2017 Foklex Media Awards
- I won't interfere in work of police - Akufo-Addo
- Here are Warren Buffett's most valuable investments (BRKA, BRKB, KO, AXP, AAPL, DAL, GS, IBM, PSX, LUV, WFC, HNZ)
- Warren Buffett just said this man has done the 'most for American investors'
- Bribery Scandal: NDC divided over whether Muntaka should resign as Chief Whip
- You can use Ghana @ 60 logo to do business - Committee
- Ghana risks losing $498m Compact 2 cash under Trump - Franklin Cudjoe
- SADA, Rasmal Group sign $800m deal to help transform savannah zone
- GFA to appoint a coach with Africa experience
- Timbuktu bars smashed by Muslim protesters in Mali
- How Americans really feel about their country on 33 key issues, and how that has changed over 40 years
- Be careful of visa agents – Stella Obinwa
- Mourinho: Manager demands United hunger for Wembley showdown
- Asante Kotoko crock Evans Quao vows to return stronger and better
- Akufo-Addo, Kufuor, Ocquaye mourn with Alan Cash in Kumasi
- Trump's new national security adviser: Saying 'radical Islamic terrorism' is counterproductive
- La Liga: Kevin-Prince Boateng's Las Palmas suffer a home defeat
- Goverment must draw lessons from Ghana at 50 celebrations - Suhuyini
- Kwame Nkrumah Ideological Institute condemns 1966 coup
- Glo Ghana begins massive expansion drive
- Toke Makinwa: Maje Ayida slams OAP with N100m defamation lawsuit
- 1966 Coup: Nkrumah's overthrow shuttered Ghana's economic dev't - Samia Nkrumah
- In Syria: Dozens dead in suicide attack in Homs
- Jordan Ayew poised to score first Swansea goal at Stamford Bridge
- GPL preview: Scientific Soccer lads to end Medeama unbeaten streak
- PLAYBACK: 'Newsfile' on JoyNews (25-2-2017)
- I'm not done with football yet - Essien
- Divorce of Barclays PLC, Barclays Africa won’t affect banking in Africa – expert
- Trump responds to protests, saying his voters 'should have their own rally' that 'would be the biggest of them all!'
- Revealed! Leader of assault on police officer at Flagstaff House hiding: Baako
- Lawrence Lartey’s Ajax Cape Town chases first win in 2017
- SA products boycott will trigger economic crisis – Dr. Yaw Gebeh
- Mugabe: I’ll not impose successor on Zimbabweans - President
- What actually pushed KNUST student to commit suicide
- Oscar nominees receive a $100,000+ swag bag — here's what's inside
- Photo: Kwesi Nyantakyi reunites with Kujo Fianoo at EK Afranie funeral
- Weight Loss: 5 expert-approved ways to lose fat fast
- 'Puppy Doe' had been stabbed in the eye and had limbs pulled apart
- Other pets and people may be at risk from cruel perpetrator
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 16:52 GMT, 20 September 2013 | UPDATED: 11:08 GMT, 21 September 2013
The sadistic owner of a dog found with horrific injuries and signs of long-term abuse is being searched for as police warn that other animals - and even people - could be at risk.
The two-year-old dog, found near a Massachusetts play park, had been beaten, burned, starved and stabbed in the eyes in what was described as 'medieval' torture.
Animal rescue workers described the injuries inflicted on the pit bull, including a crude split to give it a forked serpent tongue, as the worst they had ever seen.
Cruel: This two-year-old pit bull was found with horrific injuries
Abused: Puppy Doe weighed only 18lb and had been stabbed, burned and tortured
'It is highly unlikely that this level of sadistic cruelty could be shown to one animal and not be part of a pattern involving other animals or perhaps vulnerable people,' district attorney Michael Morrissey said.
The dog's injuries were so severe that she had to be euthanized. When she was found in Quincy on August 31 she weighed only 18lb. A healthy weight for the breed and age is 40lb.
When she was first found it was thought that she had been hit by a car, but the true nature of her injuries soon came to light, Fox 25 reported.
Vet Martha Smith-Blackmore was so shocked by the extent of the abuse that she had to walk away and give herself a break as she examined the dog's body.
'Her joints were pulled apart like medieval times,' she told the Boston Herald. 'She was beaten, stabbed, burned over weeks to months and maybe her whole life. And could not walk.'
The vet added: 'When I saw how vulnerable she was and I understood immediately the duration of her suffering, my heart collapsed.'
Sweet natured: Despite having broken bones, crushed vertebrae and other injuries, the pit bull was friendly
Torture: The dog's limbs had been repeatedly pulled apart
Although there was no evidence of sexual interference, which the vet said can be seen in such abuse cases, the dog's joints had been separated from being pulled apart repeatedly.
Despite the pain and suffering Puppy Doe had clearly experienced in her short life, staff at the rescue center said she was sweet natured.
'Within hours of being found she had pain medication, food and love. She experienced some tenderness and some care at the end of her life,' Dr Smith-Blackmore said, adding that the dog's injuries were so severe she would have always been in pain if she hadn't been put down.
As well as the burn and stab marks, the dog's vertebrae had been smashed from being hit by a baseball bat or board.
In pain: The dog had suffered such extensive abuse that she had to be put to sleep
Horrified: Vet Martha Blackmore-Smith says she was heart broken by the extent of abuse the dog suffered
'Words cannot adequately describe the shocking suffering that Puppy Doe endured or capture the urgency in identifying who did this to her,' Mary Nee, president of the Animal Rescue League shelter that took her in, said
Police are asking anyone who recognizes the dog or has any information on who its owner may be to get in touch.
Quincy residents, moved by Puppy Doe's plight, have also been offering rewards for information leading to an arrest.