- 2016 computerized placement has been smooth – GES
- Tullow insured for business interruption losses in Ghana
- China-Ghana trade volume hits historic high US$6.6b
- Asutifi North Assembly exceeds revenue target
- Mahama did not tell CHRAJ the truth - Minority Leader
- Mahama's good looks will keep him in power for 4 more years - NDC
- Ivor Greenstreet submits forms
- DKM customers asked to verify names at banks
- Ghana has become an icon in the international community - Mahama
- Comedy does not win elections – Akua Donkor tells Agya Koo
More from World News
- Risk posed by 'garage geneticists': Fears amateur scientists using DNA editing technology may cause harm
- Hit-and-run driver is found guilty of causing the death by careless driving of a Coldstream Guard who was knocked 50ft into the air
- Moneybags ex-England boss Sam Allardyce dips into his £1m severance pay to hire a CHAUFFEUR to ferry him around on his Spanish villa escape
- Giant dinosaur footprint discovered in Mongolia desert
- Why only women with the 'Angelina Jolie gene' should have their ovaries removed
- Drama As Wife Bursts Into Husband Wedding His Girlfriend In Court...What Happened Next Is Shocking
- OMG! Veteran Actor Agya Koo Disses Kofi Adams And The NDC Party; Find Out What He Sad
- ThrowBack Time! You Wont Believe Who This Kid Grew Up To Become
- WTF? Woman Caught Her Husband R*ping Their 15-year-old Daughter...You Wont Believe What Happened Next
- Yvonne Chaka Chaka Survives 'Masive' Midrand Shooting (+Photos)
- OMG! Man Killed After Winning A Lottery...How It Happened Will Blow Your Mind
- Pastor Who Went Dumb Whiles Trying To Destroy Traditional Shrine Finally Speaks; What He Said Is Shocking
- OMG! This Old Man Has Been Digging A Hole For The Past 18 Years; His Reason Will Stupefy You
- Pastor Tries To Destroy Idols In A Shrine; What Happened Will Shock You
- #TalkToRuto Kenyan Twitter Reviews Ruto’s K24 Live Interview
- OMG! Mysterious Snake Drags Young Man Inside Popular River...See Shocking Details
- OMG! This Man Confesses How He R*ped And Killed My Own Grandmother; His Reason Is Mind Blowing
- Avoid Having Sex Between 12am And 3am; Reason Will Shock You
- You Wont Believe Why This Bridesmaid Is Weeping At Her Friend's Wedding
- Angry Students Seize Haruna Iddrisu’s Car
- Becca Dressing Exactly Like J.J Rawlings In New PHOTO Has Got People Talking All Day (+ Photos)
- OMG! Ghanaian Woman Caught Kidnapping Her Own Sister's Daughter And This Happened
- Akufo-Addo will jail Mahama's appointees if elected - NDC Reg. Chairman
- Notorious And Wanted Nigerian Drug Lord Arrested In Kenya (Photo)
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s £15million private jet crash-lands in Barcelona
- Amissah-Arthur chased away with change slogan
- 7 Delicious Things You Must Eat In The Month Of October
- Serious Drama As Man Who R*ped His Own Daughter Tries To Commit Suicide In Court; What Happened Next Is Shocking
- I'll Win Polls For Submitting Forms First – Akufo-Addo
- Angry Mob Nearly Lynch Woman Who Publicly Abused Her Maid
- London woman 'was mown down on the pavement by thugs on speeding mopeds after ignoring their catcalls'
- Asamoah Gyan scores brace in Al Ahli 3-2 win over Al Shabab
- OMG! Overzealous Police Officer Dangerously Falls From Speeding Vehicle (Video)
- Photos: Akufo-Addo Submits Nomination Forms
- This Is How Some Kumawood Movie Producers Planned To Kill Liwin’s Career
- Matalan colleagues in Cardiff lay floral tributes to colleagues stabbed to death
- Music Video: Omar Sterling & Mugeez – Talk Talk
- It’s a girl! Kwaw Kese and Khareema Aguiar welcome new babies
- Konadu submits nomination forms
- Why CHRAJ dismissed ford gift petition against Mahama
- See me for tips on how to run sugar factory - Nduom to Gov't
- Here’s What The Cast Of ‘Dear Mother’ Has Been Up To
- Bagbin backs EC’s directive on asset declaration
- Stop practicing 'jungle politics' - Peace Council Chair
- METSS boss exposes Hon. Kokofu over poverty in Mahama’s hometown
- Shoemaker wins Kofikrom Arm-wrestling Championship
- Don’t sell your birth right to politicians - Peace Council
- NDC urges foot soldiers to remain united
- Obiri Boahen, Anyidoho clash over 'campaign strategy'
- NDC has more competent aspirants than you - Bagbin tells Mornah
- Deputy regional minister beats war drums
- Amissah-Arthur chased with change slogan at Larteh
- Welsh father diagnosed with vertigo discovers he has a deadly tumour after Facebook post
- Mahama files; has Akufo-Addo et al. to contend
- NDC's boycott of IEA debate 'sad' – Rev. Asante
- Serious Commotion Arises As Gunmen Kill Man And His Two Sons In Their Own Home...See Sad Details
- GOtv Introduces Young Dreams On Zee World
- You’ll Be Sacked If You Charge Unauthorised Fees – GES Warn Head Teachers
- IMF Approves Ghana’s Third Review
- Ford gift: CHRAJ clears Mahama
- ACEP leads way to proper oil governance in Ghana
- Economic crisis making life unbearable for business folks - ICU
- NPP stalwarts working against Nana Addo's victory - Pastor
- We have confidence in our nominee - CPP
- BoG exonerates Board Chair of GCB of wrongdoing
- Believe It Or Not: Mad Fish Says He’s Never Smoked ‘Wee’ Before
- Akufo-Addo Won't Declare Asset - NPP
- Odike in fresh trouble
- Mahama Ford saga: CHRAJ report vindicates us – PPP, CPP
- Nduom, Greenstreet, others to square off on YFM’s Y-Dialogues
- Newcastle 4-3 Norwich: Dwight Gayle hat-trick saves Rafa Benitez's blushes as Canaries fail to take top spot
- 5 Of The Most Hilarious Things Nigerian Politicians Have Shared During Elections
- NPP Was A Tormenting Sickness In My Blood - Former Coordinator
- CHRAJ Ford report 'indicts' Mahama – CPP
- Ghana does not need a globetrotter as President – Odike
- EC overstepping its bounds - PNC
- Nana’s failure to name a female running mate cost NPP in 2008 – Pastor
- Beware of Goro boys - Atuguba warns judges
- Hunter, 120, shoots himself
- Gov’t wants SOEs to go for corporate ratings
- Moody’s rating: Mahama upbeat about Ghana’s progress
- Assets declaration for aspirants unnecessary – Political scientist
- Here we go! Tanzanian singer, Vanessa Mdee denies affair with Trey Songz
- Benchmark rate inches up
- Nana Addo to present nomination forms today; Mahama Friday
- Ray C Admits Her Crush On Wizkid But Disappointed He Blocked Her On Instagram
- Moody’s Ranked Ghana High Because Of My Leadership – Mahama
- Mahama arrived in Ghana Wednesday night
- See How M.anifest Responded To A Sarkodie Fan Who Said He Will Hate Him Till He Apologizes
- CSO Kicks Against Coal-Fired Power Plant At Ekumfi
- Appointing legislators as ministers weakens Parliament - GBA
- Shining laser through Queen's face on new £5 note reveals something awesome
- Afram Plains NDC MP drops out of 2016 race
- NDC boycott of IEA debate “sad” – Rev. Asante
- Nana Addo files nomination forms but EC rejects filing fee
- 5 Most Common Types Of Commentators On YouTube Videos
- Manchester United's Eric Bailly Spotted Leaving Bank With Stack Of Bulging Brown Envelopes
- Check Out The Nigerian Short Film That Just Broke A YouTube Record
- Rapper, Future to perform at MTV Africa Music Awards 2016
- Your anger against NDC is baseless - Benjamin Kpodo tells Volta Chiefs
- Listen UP: Praye compose song for Nana Addo’s campaign
- Sauti Sol’s Polycarp Otieno Launches His First Custom Made Guitars
- 42 new community day SHSs to admit fresh students - Ablakwa
- Give my wife a chance – Akua Donkor’s hubby pleads
- Mahama Violated Gift Policy; But Not Culpable For Bribery - CHRAJ
- GBA decry poor relationship between judges and lawyers
- Hiked presidential, parliamentary filing fees lack reason – PPP
- Pray or die - Rev. Owusu Bempah warns celebrities
- 8 Times Nigerian Celebrities Looked Absolutely Stunning In Headwraps
- Minister files nomination, declares 70,000 votes for Mahama
- 2016 computerized placement has been smooth – GES
- Speaker Adjaho assures Iran of Ghana’s partnership
- GOIL appoints new Chief Operating Officer
- Is immigration killing off the Queen's English? Regional accents are DYING OUT as we're exposed to ever-more languages
- Borussia Dortmund star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s son proudly holds up muddy Cristiano Ronaldo shirt worn in Champions League clash
- Jennifer Grout got hooked after watching a video of a Lebanese singer
- She had been raised singing in choirs and playing the piano and violin
- Student then asked for a one-way ticket to Morocco as a graduation gift
- Some have jokingly questioned whether she is actually western at all
- Judge told her in disbelief: 'You don't speak a word of Arabic'
By Dan Bloom
PUBLISHED: 11:03 GMT, 26 November 2013 | UPDATED: 12:39 GMT, 26 November 2013
An American singer has stunned a TV audience of millions - by reaching the final of a top Middle East talent show.
Jennifer Grout, 23, had a 'Susan Boyle moment' on Arabs Got Talent when she sang in Arabic with a traditional lute - despite not even understanding the words 'What's your name?'.
The classically-trained singer who was raised on Bach and Mozart from is now through to the final of the TV show, one of the most popular in the Arab world.
Scroll down for video
Pitch-perfect: Jennifer Grout, 23, has wowed the judges on Arabs Got Talent - despite speaking no Arabic
Found in translation: Jennifer Grout spent two decades singing in choirs then took a one-way trip to Morocco
One of the judges, Lebanese singer Najwa Karam, told her: 'You don't speak a word of Arabic, yet you sing better than some Arab singers!', Morocco World News reported.
'We have for so long imitated the West, and this the first time that a person who has no whatsoever link to the Arab world, an American girl who does not speak Arabic, sings Arabic songs.'
Jennifer - from Cambridge, Massachusetts - was raised singing in choirs and playing the violin.
But in 2010 she found a video by the Lebanese singer Fairouz and got hooked on Arabic music, buying a traditional lute-like instrument called an oud.
She asked for a one-way ticket to Morocco for her college graduation gift and she has been living there since last year.
Come again? Jennifer Grout at her audition - where she did not understand the judge's introduction
Susan Boyle moment: American Jennifer Grout blew away a giggling audience by covering Umm Kulthum
The show also features 18-year-old Mayam Mahmoud, Egypt's first hajib-wearing rapper, who is praised for standing up for women's rights. She said she wanted to rap not 'about any old thing but something with value'
LOST IN TRANSLATION: SINGERS WHO SWITCHED TO ENGLISH
Foreign singers have always learned English to conquer the pop market - but it rarely works the other way round.
Swedish 1970s pop icons ABBA launched their career in English instead of their mother tongue to win over more foreign fans.
Colombian diva Shakira (above) had a huge audience in Latin America but hit the big time when she released her fifth album Laundry Service in English in 2001.
Spanish-American crooner Enrique Iglesias was born in Madrid but sang his hit single Hero in English, earning himself global fame.
Puerto Rican singer Enrique Martín Morales had limited success in a boy band - until he adopted the stage name Ricky Martin for his hit Livin' La Vida Loca (the crazy life).
Iceland's postmodern darling Bjork sings in English, earning her an eclectic audience all over the world.
And radio stations in France have even tried to stop singers deserting their mother tongue - by dictating that at least 40 per cent of playlists must be in French.
'I've been working on it and practicing a lot and I listen to it all the time,' she told the show. 'I get a translation or I have one of my Arab friends do a translation for me.
'It was a little bit strange for my family in the beginning, but now they totally support what i do. They pushed me to come here to Lebanon to do the show.'
She won over the audience on the talent show by singing Baeed Anak (Away From You) by Umm Kulthum, one of the most celebrated singers in Egypt's history.
She also sings in the Berber dialects of traditional communities in Algeria, Morocco, Lybia, Mali, Niger and Tunisia.
She told Good Morning America: 'About 30 seconds into it, I think everybody was very surprised. I felt really proud, because the audience went from not taking me seriously to like, wow she's good.'
Jennifer is now up against top performers from across the Middle East and North Africa including one of the world's first hijab-wearing rappers and a Saudi stand-up comic.
The rapper, Egyptian Mayam Mahmoud, 18, could pose stiff competition - as she has been praised for standing up for women's rights in the conservative Middle East.
The show is in its third season and is a spin-off from Britain's Got Talent and America's Got Talent.
Her success is so great, there are even rumours she is not actually from the West.
Professor Virginia Danielson, Umm Kulthum's biographer, told The Guardian: 'Her resonance – that slightly nasal sound – is particularly compelling and very expressive in this style of singing.
'Her voice is strong, very pretty and she commands the style of the repertory very well.
'If I were going to criticise, I'd say the rhythmic structure of the piece escapes her a bit, but otherwise she sang very well, I thought.'
All-American girl: Jennifer Grout grew up in Cambridge, Massachusetts, singing in choirs and playing the violin
Talent: Jennifer, 23, has become a star appearing in media all over the world, from Egypt to the U.S.
The show, a spin-off of Britain's Got Talent and America's Got Talent, also features a hijab-wearing rapper